Usually “fast” food doesn’t equate to healthy food. But if you have the right ingredients and the right recipes, you can make a yummy, healthy, and quick meal in less than 15 minutes. Here are some to start you off with!
1. Vegan Chili – Using chickpeas, black beans, cannellini beans, and black beans instead of ground beef, this chili packs almost 15 grams of fiber per bowl and weighs in at 300 calories. Use anchovy-free Worcestershire sauce (or skip it) for a completely vegan meal.
2. Seared Tofu with Gingered Vegetables – This meal is rich in protein and flavor. In order to achieve a cripsy brown sear on the tofu, make sure you drain it thoroughly. For extra crunchiness, add radish sprouts.
3. Rotini with White Beans and Escarole – While this pasta remains light and low in calories, the flavor stays wildly in tact. Hearty beans, bitter greens, and sharp P
armesan cheese, topped with a fruity wine make this dish a savory hit. Use a vegan parm for a completely vegan meal.
4. Curried Tofu – This dish might sound exotic, but it can be made in less than 15 minutes with common pantry ingredients – pineapple, red bell pepper, coconut milk, and curry powder. Serve with brown rice or rice noodles and fresh orange slices.
5. Insalata Pizza – This “salad” pizza comes equipped with loads of nutritious veggies, topped with a cider vinegar sauce. Serve on whole-
wheat pita bread.
6. Falafel with Avocado Spread – Falafels deep-fried, so they’re not exactly the healthiest food in the world, but they sure are healthier than Fr
ench fries. This is a Latin twist on the classic Middle Eastern wrap, made with pinto beans, cheese, and a tasty avocado spread.
7. Chili-Glazed Tofu over Asparagus and Rice – In this dish, the tofu takes on the taste of the sweet, sour, salty, and spicy sauce it’s served in. Serve with soba or rice noodles and steamed broccoli.
8. Corn and Summer Vegetable Sautee - Okra, bell pepper, corn, and black beans make up this 90-calories-per-serving recipe. Serve with bread, or fill with whole-
9. Double-Bean Burritos – You can’t go wrong with these double-bean burritos. You can add just about any healthy vegetable you want in them, but don’t forget about the beans!
10. Chickpea Curry with Basmati Rice – Indian food is wealthy with vegetarian entrees. Usually they’re too time-consuming to make any “easy” recipe list, but this one isn’t! Healthy and ready to plate in 15 minutes. You can find garam masala in the spice aisle of any local grocery store or you can make it yourself.