Cupcakes are perfect little desserts. There’s no denying that. But a frosting-less cupcake is just…meh. Cupcakes get all the attention, but what people often overlook is that a great frosting can elevate a cupcake from “good” to “extraordinary.”
1. Vegan Rose Frosting – Use real roses for this recipe! You can use tiny bit of red food dye to give it a rosy shading, or skip it and just revel in the refreshing rosy flavor.
2. Vegan Peanut Butter Frosting – This peanut butter frosting is so good, you might be tempted to eat it without the cupcake.
3. Vegan Strawberry Frosting – Perfect for almost any type of cake, you can use an all-fruit strawberry fruit preserve instead of a jar of sweetened preserves if you’re trying to cut down on calories.
4. Coffee Frosting – This coffee frosting goes best with chocolate desserts like cakes and cupcakes.
5. Buttercream Frosting – This frosting is perfect for catering to a bunch of people who may have a variety of diets and allergies. Feel free to replace the vanilla extract with another flavoring like almond or maple extract, orange juice, or lemon juice.
6. Chocolate Frosting – If you’re short on time, this quick recipe is easy and delicious. If available, use the “stick” variety of vegan margarine instead of the “tub.”
7. Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting - This frosting is smooth and creamy and produces a sweet, nutty flavor. Perfect for vegan vanilla or chocolate cupcakes.
8. Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting – Using non-dairy cream cheese and vegan margarine, this frosting is very yummy on red velvet cupcakes.
9. Coconut Frosting – For coconut lovers who delight in a simple, sweet, and elegant frosting.
10. Blueberry Frosting – Blueberry frosting is a fun way to top any cupcake and this recipe is extremely easy to make. If you don’t want to buy blueberry juice, just heat or blend fresh blueberries, draining out the two tablespoons of juice.
How do you top your vegan cupcakes? Frosting? Powdered sugar? Something else entirely? Tell us in the comments!