While some folks may think “vegetarian” automatically equates to “healthy,” those who have, at one point in their vegetarian lives, lived off of F rench fries and chocolate bars know that that’s definitely not always the case. That being said, it is easy to be a healthy vegetarian, as long as you know what to eat. Below are a few recipes to guide you in the right direction. Let us know which are your favorites!
1. Alpine Mushroom Pasta – In northern Italy, the influences of Switzerland and Austria are evident in dishes like this, featuring mushrooms and cabbage in a light wine sauce.
2. Tuscan White Bean Soup with Escarole – A hearty and unique soup that will be gone before you get a chance to grab seconds.
3. Egyptian Edamame Stew -This vegan version of an Egyptian classic is made with edamame instead of the traditional fava beans. Serve with couscous, bulgur, or heated whole-wheat pita bread to soak up the sauce.
4. Chinese Braised Mushrooms & Tofu – A traditional dish from the Sichuan province of China inspired this recipe. Portobello mushrooms are substituted for the normal ground pork or beef used in the dish. Serve with brown rice.
5. Lentil-Barley Burgers with Fiery Fruit Salsa- Use leftover cooked pearl barley with lentils, veggies, and seasonings for a hearty main
-dish burger sans the bun. Fruit salsa adds bright flavors. Serve with lime wedges for extra zest.
6. Soy-Lime Roasted Tofu – Marinated tofu cubes in lime-juice and soy sauce with a dash of toasted sesame oil. Roast to perfection.
7. Asian Tofu Salad – This tofu salad is healthy, and vegetarian, and best served with breadsticks and iced jasmine tea.
8. Fall Vegetable Curry – This curry is made in less than 30 minutes and is filled with mouthwatering vegetables, offering an interesting combination of flavors and textures.
9. Barbeque Portobello Quesadillas – Reminiscent of pulled pork, this mushroom-filled quesadilla is best served with coleslaw and guacamole. Add chipotle chile pepper for an extra kick.
10. Chickpea Burgers and Tahini Sauce – While falafels are delicious, they are deep-fried, and everyone knows that’s not the healthiest option! This light chickpea patty is way healthier and very tasty. Serve in a whole-wheat pita with light tahini sauce.
Do you have a favorite healthy vegetarian recipe? We’d love to hear about it in the comments!